Sunday, February 13, 2011

Nokia N8 - First Impressions


I was very excited when I was offered a Nokia N8 device for a two week trial. I couldn't contain opening the DHL package when it finally reached me. The device comes neatly packed in a dark blue sleek box which I first saw when we reviewed the Nokia Booklet 3G.

Opening the lid reveals the Nokia N8. My trial device was dark gray which would definitely have been my choice if I were to have purchased this device. The device looked beautiful shining back at me. I quickly realized that the N8 does not have a external/removable battery, which I am used to finding and slipping into my Nokia Phones, so I can get straight to using my new toy.

It was late evening so i decided to put the Xenon flash to work, my wife became my first victim as I snapped away indoors. Our room lighting is not the best and the N8 did a marvelous job, as I proudly showed by photos to my wife.

This reminded me of a test I loved to do with the N82: photos in pitch darkness... The Xenon flash on the N82 has enough power to light up a small room, so I was curious to see how the N8 would compare. Here is the result of that:

 
The N8 coupled with Xenon flash is probably the best camera phone out there, the only device I know I would like to put it up against is the Sony Ericsson's Satio and know that I will get better photos from a camera phone, no matter the time of day.
Leaving the device aside I was curious to see what the N8 package has to offer. The box has a flurry of cables:
  • The HDMI cable allows you to connect your device to your HD TV.
  • A USB adapter which allows you to connect a USB device and enjoy USB OTG.
  • A small easy to carry power adapter.
  • The Standard micro USB cable for charging and Syncing.
  • N-Series, 3.5mm headset with remote.


The device does not come with a micro SD card, but the 16GB of storage will surely be enough for most users.

Over the next few days the Nokia N8 will join me on our journeys in and around Baltimore. I look forward to testing the camera to it's fullest. I am skeptical of Symbian^3 as a serious mobile OS, and keen to match it against it's competition. I can't help secretly wish Nokia makes a Windows Phone, which to me will be the true iPhone killer.

I look forward to sharing my findings with you in my Nokia N8 review and my review of Symbian^3. Does the N8 truly provide a superior camera experience? You will find out as soon as I do :)
DJRipster Web Developer

Morbi aliquam fringilla nisl. Pellentesque eleifend condimentum tellus, vel vulputate tortor malesuada sit amet. Aliquam vel vestibulum metus. Aenean ut mi aucto.

No comments:

Post a Comment