Monday, April 19, 2010

How to review a Nokia device...


The kind folks at WoM-World are looking towards letting me test their Nokia Booklet 3G. For years I have remained a huge Nokia fan, until Apple stole me away with their iPhone. 

Nokia’s 5800 was a valiant effort, but was nowhere close to what apple was offering. When Nokia released the N97, it still was the buggy OS that kept me shy of going back to Nokia. When my iPhone 3GS got locked due to a bad move with an upgrade I was forced to look for an alternate device. Having a limited selection, I was drawn towards Android OS and the Nexus One.

Then there was the N900, Nokia’s tablet that had the 3GS’ specs and was running linux. In my eyes I respect the open source community, but feel they are still fighting a battle they cannot win against the powers that are Microsoft, Apple and Google, However I wanted to give Nokia one more try and to date I am still sticking to my N900, even without capacitive touch and the very limited Ovi Store. The N900 is an awesome device, which we will discuss at another time, but the unit we are here to discuss is the booklet 3G.

Cloud Services

I remember reading an article some months ago on Nokia’s marketing decisions. Nokia’s Ovi Service can be found on every device that comes out of Nokia these days. These services allow Nokia users to synchronize their devices to the World Wide Web allowing them to stay connected to a range of Nokia devices anywhere in the world. Probably the most important feature is the contacts service.

We quickly become slaves to our address books, No one bothers to remember a telephone number anymore. We just store it on our devices and computers and if anyone ever asks us we share it. The cloud allows us to maintain our contacts online and what I learned from using the Android device was the pleasure of having a universal list of contacts. Using the iPhone I didn’t bother paying for their premium mobile me service. And Apple’s service doesn’t let me sync with other clouds. When you start your android device you need to sign into your google account, this will import your contact list right out of google’s servers letting you sync it up with your phone contacts, which to me was Gold. Ovi does the same thing, but I felt a little restricted on my N97. I had contacts and then on a separate tab my ovi contacts. This made me feel that my friends all needed to own a Nokia device to be an Ovi contact.

The N900 does exactly what I want with ‘groups’ Brings my Google + Windows + Yahoo + Ovi Contacts all together. I can merge and consolidate various contact info into my contacts. What the N900 also needs to allow is to Sync various contacts social networking accounts into the contact info. Now my Ovi contacts will be a rich set of contacts which will let me move through all their social networking services keeping me up to date on all what’s going on with them.

Now we have a cloud of contacts with rich contact info, to which Nokia introduces Ovi Mail. Ovi Mail allows us to stay in touch with our cloud through its rich email features which includes pop mail allowing us to link it to our PC’s and mobile devices. When we bring a PC into the equation we can do so much more than on a mobile and this is where we introduce the Booklet 3G. The booklet is a minilaptop. It doesn’t have the specs to play rich graphics driven games but is focused for the user on the move. It’s so focused on moving, you literally don’t need to plug it in, even if you want to get online where there is no WiFi. You can read more about the device in my in depth review. My question and my journey is WHY do I need this device and how the Nokia Booklet replaces carrying my laptop.

I hope I get my hands on the device soon, so stay tuned in the coming weeks for more
DJs Mobiles Web Developer

Morbi aliquam fringilla nisl. Pellentesque eleifend condimentum tellus, vel vulputate tortor malesuada sit amet. Aliquam vel vestibulum metus. Aenean ut mi aucto.

No comments:

Post a Comment